What is the difference between Relative visa and Dependent Visa?

A lot of people move to foreign countries like South Africa every year for studies and work.  While the country provides different categories of Visa for a varied of studies and employment, there is one more special category of Visa for people who migrate in the country on dependent visa South Africa.  The parents, spouse or children may either come to the country on dependent visa status.

The dependent visa allows the applicant to reside in South Africa, for a maximum of 2 years.

Dependent Visa Requirements:

  • Visa fee receipt
  • 2 Photograph
  • Letter of invitation by South African Consulate
  • Wedding photos and Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificate of children below 14 years age
  • Soft copy of H-1 visa holder's passport
  •  Employment letter of H-1 visa holder

What is South Africa Relative Visa?

If you married to South African Citizen and you want to settle with her/him in South Africa, one of the best options to opt for is Relative Visa South Africa.

A Relative Visa South Africa permits applicants to migrate to South Africa and stay in the country for a longer time period. This visa is best for a spouse, and family member to migrate over to South Africa, to be accompanied by their family members residing locally.

Relative visa requirements:


  • 2 passport photographs
  • Department of Home Affairs application fee
  • Application processing fee
  • The applicant's birth certificate
  • Biometrics of the applicant
  • Yellow fever vaccination certificate, if required.
  • Medical report.
  • A police clearance certificate.
  • Proof of financial support
  • Proof of the South African citizen/Permanent resident.


Both the relative visa and the dependent visa South Africa authorize the holder to migrate and live in South Africa however it does not allow the holder any allowance to study or work there.